Facebook page for weather cancellations, SGR details, etc. No Facebook account/log in required.
Tuesday Pack Ride
- When/Where: Tuesdays at Lamar School (3261 Highway 81, at the end of Cherokee Road)
- Time: 6:00 PM, or leave from ETSU parking lot behind Knight's at 5:25 PM
- Route: Two circuits of a 10-mile flat to rolling course.
- Distance: 21 miles starting from Lamar, ~38 starting from
- Pace: Fast. Very Fast. It is a handicapped training ride,
with slower riders starting first, but "slower" is relative. 20
to 25 mph average pace, depending on the group you start in. NOT
a no-drop ride, no sweep provided.
Thursday Night Ride (TNR)
- When/Where: Thursdays at ETSU parking lot behind Knight's
- Time: 5:30 PM (watch for 6 PM start as daylight increases)
- Route: TNR Short or TNR Long
- Distance: ~28 or ~37 miles
- Pace: No-drop ride for Fitness riders with at least one sweep
rider. The longer route is aimed toward Competitive riders, with no sweep rider
(i.e., NOT a no-drop ride for the TNR Long). The ride will stay at
the Fitness pace until it splits at about 13 miles in. Fitness
riders should be able to maintain a 14 to 16 mph average for the TNR
Saturday Group Ride (SGR)
- When/Where: Saturdays, typically starting at ETSU parking lot behind Knight's,
but not always
- Time: Varies, but typically Saturday mornings
- Route: Varies
- Distance: Varies, but typically 50 to 100 miles
- Pace: Determined by group. This is NOT a no drop ride. Tell Perry prior to start if you're unfamiliar with area, are on-call, or plan to cut route short.
- Description: SGR is meant to be challenging in possibly 3
ways: terrain/distance/pace. How each SGR is conducted is determined
by the riders who participate on any given Saturday, which is why
the pace is posted as determined by group. Regrouping after
climbs/hard efforts and waiting for riders who puncture or make
unplanned stops (for fluids, nature breaks, etc.) usually occurs,
but may not. Individuals are free to wait in such instances, but the
entire group may not. You ride at your own risk and are responsible
for getting yourself back to the start point if you lose the group.
Except for those new to this area/visiting, it’s assumed riders are
familiar with the routes/area. Riders should carry a phone to access
GPS or to call someone who’s agreed to assist them if needed.
However, no rider will be knowingly abandoned if injured, bike
becomes in-operable or are new to the area. In fairness to yourself
and fellow riders, participants should be able to maintain a 16-18
mph avg on hilly terrain and a 15-17 avg on mountainous terrain.
- Check our
Facebook page for ride details for each week, typically posted
by Thursday, but may be Friday if weather is iffy.
Local Bike Shop Rides
Check each shop's Facbook page for weather cancellations, etc. No Facebook account/log in required.
- When/Where: Mondays at the corner of Roan Street and State of Franklin in the Cherry Street parking lot in Johnson City
- Time: 6:30 PM
- Route: Slow social ride to the Tweetsie Trail, riding a
portion of the trail, then back to the Cherry Street parking lot
- Distance: 45 to 60 minutes
- Pace: Slow and social - Fun!!
- Description: All skill levels are welcome!! We’ll ride
together to the trailhead, then set a time to turn around on the
trail. Riders/groups can go at their own pace on the trail and
simply turn around at the designated time. We’ll meet back at
the trailhead and all ride back to the parking lot together.
Then join us at Main Street Pizza for food and drinks after the
ride! Helmet are required! Any type of bicycle will
work. Come a little early to sign the waiver (once for the
info@NorrisBicycles.com or call 423-928-8900 with questions.
Reedy Creek Tuesday Night Road Ride
- When/Where: Tuesdays in Kingsport
- Time: 5:30 PM from Reedy Creek Bicycles, 6:00 PM from the
YMCA Aquatics Center
- Route: Varies
- Distance: 30 to 45 miles
- Pace: All
- Description: This ride includes groups at all paces with the A group
averaging over 19 mph, the B group staying around 17 mph, and
the C group at whatever pace is sustainable by the slowest
rider. The B and C rides are no-drop, while the A group is a
race-pace group. The B and C rides can pickup dropped A riders.
The route will change week to week. Expect 30 to 45 miles. For
more info contact Tony at
- When/Where: Tuesdays at The Bike Shop in Johnson City
- Time: 6:00 PM
- Route: See Description
- Distance: 19, 22, 25, and 30 miles
- Pace: 12, 15, 17, and 20 mph average depending on route
- Description: The Bike Shop Tuesday Night Ride is a no-drop group ride that starts out
as one group and splits into four possible routes. The design
of the four routes has everybody arriving back at the shop in
one and a half hours of ride time. The shortest route is the core
route, with each more difficult route adding an extension to the
route with more mileage and climbing. There are two designated
stops: the 1st is at Mary Hughes School and the 2nd is at Mr.
Green Thumb. Each route is marked, and Strava Maps with turn by
turn directions are available on
The Bike Shop website.